On the first offensive play from scrimmage in 2016, Navy scored a touchdown.
They scored on Double Flex, Zone Option Right.
When Navy gets into Double Flex, they Trey (Tackle/Receiver) double team on Zone Option.
The Playside Guard has the B-gap. He would have the Mike on the run-through otherwise he works vertically to the Will. The Center has the A-gap. After he snaps the ball, he must get his head to the playside of the shade. The backside Guard and Tackle scoop. They must cancel the adjacent playside gap. The Backside A-Back has the pitch, and the Backside Receiver cuts off.
On the two-way option, the Quarterback opens, runs 90 degrees and once he gets to the double team, he turns up and scores. If #2 steps at him he would parallel pitch the ball to the Backside A-Back. On this play, Tago Smith kept the ball and scored.
Notice the following:
- Navy does not block the Playside Corner.
- The Playside A-Back and B-Back load, which means they block the Playside Linebacker to the Free Safety. They did an amazing job here.
- The Backside Receiver has a phenomenal block on the Backside Corner. If you are a Triple Option Receivers Coach, THIS would be the play to show your Receivers about giving great effort on the backside.
- Finally, watch how Tago Smith gets to the double team and then simply EXPLODES to the end zone. Remember, all 11 players on offense are non-scholarship football players who joined the military just so they can play Division-1 FBS Football.
Utilize Double Flex, Zone Option when you must get the ball on the perimeter. That’s what Navy indicated to Dr. Cella this spring.
Install the Triple Option the right way the first time.
Dr. Lou Cella’s Triple Option Football-based Camp System has helped produce state champions, state championship appearances, state semifinals appearances, has had clients break school records, and has produced drastic one-year turnarounds–read all of these stories right here.
Install the Authentic Navy/Georgia Tech/Citadel Triple Option Offense
You learn the authentic Navy, Georgia Tech, and Citadel Triple Option Offense. Everything Dr. Cella installs with you, your coaches, and your players is based on the actual data from their most recent action.
Access to the Largest Library of Triple Option Offensive Football Coaching Material
The Triple Option Football Academy gives you and your assistant coaches the following plethora of resources:
- Video Library
- 2016 Triple Option Football Academy Clinic
- Dr. Cella’s State Championship Level Clients in Action
- Online Classroom
- Interactive Playbook
- Drill Guide
- Audio Series by Topic
- Message Board
- 24-Hour/Day On-Call Support
Are You Ready to Install the Triple Option the Right Way the First Time and Have an Offensive System for the Rest of Your Coaching Career?
Contact 570.332.0265 to become a Triple Option Football Academy client today.