Danny O’Rourke, A-Backs Coach at Navy recently stated the following three ways Navy makes the Triple Option Offense work in a three-practice week.
1- Oversimplify the process as this is what makes players play fast.
2- Demand the following without any excuses:
- Great effort (grade this!)
- Perfect ball security
- Execute accurate technique
3- Have a plan without having an identity crisis.
- Have answers when you don’t get yards on the Triple
- Go over assignments on the sideline in between series if you see a unique defense
- Expect problems and expect that you’re going to have to fix problems right away
- Be cautious on the formations in which you’re aligning–they might lead to bigger problems that you can’t fix