According to Navy A-Backs Coach, Danny O’Rourke, once Navy executes the Triple Option, the coaches and players look to answer the following three questions:
1- What did the Mike do?
- We want him downhill.
- If he is scraping to the perimeter, then we must hand the ball off where the Mike is not.
2- What did #1 (read key) do?
- We want the Playside Tackle to effortlessly veer release.
- If #1 collisions the Playside Tackle, then we must make #1 play loose.
- If the Mike is a runner and #1 collisions the Playside Tackle, then the Playside Tackle must outside release (“Slip” call).
3- What is the Playside Safety doing?
- If he flies up then throw the ball over his head.