Navy’s A-Back’s Coach, Danny O’Rourke recently discussed Midline at a February 2017 clinic. Here’s what he had to say:
- In 2016, Midline is often what they ran versus an Odd Front.
- The goal of Midline is to keep the Linebackers inside the tackle box through the duration of the play.
- Backside A-Back leaves at snap (unless directed with a specific tag).
- The Playside Guard veers–if 2i, the Guard veers into the 2i, and the Quarterback pulls the ball.
- Midline Lead/White (double options) are utilized versus slanting defenses.
- Midline Lead works well versus a 4-3 because the Backside A-Back has a great opportunity to out-leverage the Mike.
- Midline Triple (Zoom)- In 2016, Navy had the Center base the 0-technique, both Guards block the first Linebacker to their side, and the Playside Tackle veers outside.
- Midline Triple (Husky)- Midline is blocked the same as Triple Option.