There are three (3) things you must do to be Army & Air Force’s Flexbone Offense when you start playing in 2021…
1. Make Zone Dive the #1 play in the offense. Yes, this is a Flexbone Triple Option Offense; however, by wedging the Defensive Tackle, you force the defense to submit #1 (read key) onto the dive. THEN, you can run a true Triple Option instead of handing the ball off on every Triple Option play.
2. Utilize Zone Option/Kick when you don’t get 4 yards on the Zone Dive. This way, you load #1 (when he is the Quarterback player) and allow the Quarterback to run off that block.
3. Utilize Midline Triple Option/Triple Option when #1 collisions the A-Back on Zone Dive. This means that #1 is taking the B-Back on Midline Triple Option/Triple Option, so now you can establish the multiple phases of the Triple Option.
- In summary — In 2020…Army and Air Force run Zone Dive and if they get 4+ yards on this, they run Zone Dive again.
- If they don’t get four yards on Zone Dive, they (load #1 with the Receiver/Heavy Tackle) and run Zone Option…
- UNLESS #1 collisions the A-Back on Zone Dive. If so, they run Midline Triple Option/Triple Option.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!