Army West Point Flexbone Breakdown versus UMass

Army West Point Flexbone Offense Breakdown Army- 63 v. UMass- 7 Army Total Plays Run- 84 70% of Army’s Offense was the following: Triple Option- 8 Zone Option (w variations)- 16 Midline Triple Option- 4 Zone Belly- 15 Zone Dive- 11 Belly-G- 5 Other Plays Run: Speed Option- 2 Counter Keep- 2 Rocket- 3 Triple … Read more Army West Point Flexbone Breakdown versus UMass

Full Army West Point Triple Option Offensive Lineman Interview

triple option offensive line

Triple Option Football Academy Interview with Former Army Offensive Lineman Zach Peterson: Part One Triple Option Football Academy Interview with Former Army Offensive Lineman Zach Peterson: Part Two

Executing Double Flex, Zone Option versus 6-2 Defense

When running Zone Option out of Double Flex, the Offensive Line, A-Backs, and Backside Receiver have the same responsibilities as Triple Option. The Playside Receiver blocks down. The B-Back leads for the Quarterback and blocks the Mike to the Free Safety while the Quarterback takes the snap, goes down the line, turns up and scores … Read more Executing Double Flex, Zone Option versus 6-2 Defense

Brent Davis’ Offensive Line Drills from Georgia Southern

Army Offensive Coordinator, Brent Davis was at Georgia Southern prior to his arrival at West Point. Here are Brent Davis’ Offensive Line drills from his days at Georgia Southern:

Running Zone Option out of Heavy

The Heavy Formation brings the Backside Tackle over to the formation side, and puts the Backside Receiver where the Backside Tackle was. Zone Option is utilized when the defense forces a give to the B-Back on Triple. When this happens, the offense makes the defense defend the Quarterback and the Backside A-Back.       … Read more Running Zone Option out of Heavy

Army Threw for 361 Yards All Season… and Had Their Best Season Since 1996

Army West Point had their first 10-win season since 1996. They threw for 361 yards all season (on 20 completions). Fun Fact: Army West Point was #4 in the nation for yards/completion. If anyone tells you that you need to throw the ball to win… show them this. 2017 ARMY WEST POINT PASSING STATISTICS NAME … Read more Army Threw for 361 Yards All Season… and Had Their Best Season Since 1996

What Army, Navy, and Georgia Tech’s Leading Rusher in 2017 All Have in Common

zone kick (8-man)

The Under-Center, Flexbone Triple Option Offense continues to evolve. In 2017, Navy’s top two leading rushers were their Quarterbacks, Zach Abey and Malcolm Perry.  Also, 56% of Navy’s run offense were Quarterback runs. NAVY 2017 RUSHING STATISTICS NAME CAR YDS AVG LONG TD Zach Abey 293 1413 4.8 75 (TD) 19 Malcolm Perry 138 1182 … Read more What Army, Navy, and Georgia Tech’s Leading Rusher in 2017 All Have in Common

How the Triple Option Offense is Evolving with Army and Navy as We Move Into 2018

Army and Navy’s top three formations in 2017 (combined): 1- Double Flex 2- Heavy 3- Flex Spread Army and Navy’s top three concepts in 2017 (combined): 1- Zone Option 2- Zone Dive 3- Triple Option Happy 2018!

The Two Offensive Formations Army West Point Ran in 2017

In 2017, Army West Point had their best season in 22 seasons, and they were based out of two formations–Double Flex and Heavy. They were aligned in one of these formations, or a combination thereof, 95% of the time in their bowl win versus San Diego State.               Double … Read more The Two Offensive Formations Army West Point Ran in 2017

What Army Does Versus Hard B-Gap Pressure

Often times when Army wants to run the Zone Option, the 3-technique can create penetration. When this happens, they get into the Heavy Formation.                               Then, they run the Down (also known as Belly-G).               … Read more What Army Does Versus Hard B-Gap Pressure

2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown versus Navy

Army West Point- 14 v. Navy- 13 F (December 9, 2017) Army West Point Total Plays Run- 50 68% of Army’s Offense was the following: Zone Option- 11; Zone Dive- 10; Trap- 7; Triple Option- 6 The other 32% of Army’s Offense was the following: Sweep- 4; Quarterback Iso- 4; Down- 2; Counter Trey- 1; Quarterback Sweep; … Read more 2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown versus Navy

Army Has The Most Wins in a Season Since 1996–Here are Their Top Four Offensive Concepts of 2017

In 2017, Army West Point had their first 10-win season since 1996. Here are their top four concepts, which made up exactly 50% of their offense: ZONE DIVE (16% of offense–utilized when the defense forces a pull read on Triple Option) ZONE OPTION (14% of offense–utilized when the defense forces a give read on Triple … Read more Army Has The Most Wins in a Season Since 1996–Here are Their Top Four Offensive Concepts of 2017

Army’s Amazing Stats from Yesterday’s Armed Forces Bowl Win Shows the Power of the Triple Option Offense

Army won 42-35 yesterday over San Diego State in the Armed Forces Bowl. The Black Knights had the ball for 46 of the 60 minutes. They had 31 1st downs. 72% of the time on third down, Army got a first down.  This is by far the best in the FBS. Army had 440 yards … Read more Army’s Amazing Stats from Yesterday’s Armed Forces Bowl Win Shows the Power of the Triple Option Offense

2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown versus San Diego State in the Armed Forces Bowl

no-huddle flexbone

Army West Point- 42 v San Diego State- 35 F Army West Point Total Plays Run- 83 83% of Army’s Offense was the following: Zone Option- 25; Zone Dive- 16; Trap- 12; Down- 10; Rocket- 6 The other 17% of Army’s Offense was the following: Zone Belly- 1; Midline Lead- 2; Triple Pass- 2; Sneak- … Read more 2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown versus San Diego State in the Armed Forces Bowl

Nine Offensive Accomplishments Army West Point Achieved with their 2017 Triple Option Offense

Army West Point had their best regular season since 1996 and won their first Commander-in-Chief trophy since 1996.  Here are nine accomplishments Army achieved with their Triple Option Offense: #1 in FBS in rushing offense with 356 yards/game. #1 in FBS with a 53% 3rd down conversion percentage. #1 in FBS with fewest sacks allowed … Read more Nine Offensive Accomplishments Army West Point Achieved with their 2017 Triple Option Offense

Army’s 2017 Ball Security Led to their First Commander-in-Chief Trophy Since 1996

Army’s Ball Security in 2017 Led to their First Commander-in-Chief Trophy Since 1996.  They finished next to Alabama and tied LSU for the least number of turnovers lost.  In addition, they only fumbled the football 4 times in 12 games.  This was the sixth best in the country in 2017. Turnovers Lost RANK TEAM G … Read more Army’s 2017 Ball Security Led to their First Commander-in-Chief Trophy Since 1996

Win the Time of Possession Battle with the Triple Option Offense

In 2017, four of the top eight FBS programs that lead college football in time of possession were Triple Option football programs. Time of Possession RANK TEAM G TOP AVG TOP 1 Navy 12 430 35 2 Michigan St. 12 422 35 3 Wisconsin 13 457 35 4 Ga. Southern 12 408 34 5 Army … Read more Win the Time of Possession Battle with the Triple Option Offense

How About The Fact that the Top Four FBS Teams in Yards Per Completion (2017) are All Triple Option Teams?

That’s right–in 2017 the top four FBS teams in yards per completion are the following: RANK TEAM G PASS COM PASS ATT PASS YDS AVG 1 Navy 12 42 101 1005 23.93 2 Georgia Tech 11 43 119 927 21.56 3 Air Force 12 69 143 1321 19.14 4 Army West Point 12 19 61 … Read more How About The Fact that the Top Four FBS Teams in Yards Per Completion (2017) are All Triple Option Teams?

There are 128 FBS Football Programs and the Best One at Third Down Conversion Percentage is…

There are 128 FBS Football Programs and the Best One at Third Down Conversion Percentage is… Army West Point Their Triple Option Offense gets a first down 53% of the time.  This is the best in college football. RANK TEAM G 3RD ATT 3RD CONV PCT 1 Army West Point 12 147 78 .531  

Four of the Top Five 2017 FBS Rushing Offenses are Triple Option Offenses

The Triple Option Offense was devastating in 2017. In 2017, Army West Point averaged 355.8 yards/game.  This was the best in major college football.  In addition, they averaged 6.12 yards/run, and ran for 45 touchdowns.    Army averaged 58 rushes/game and won their first Commander-in-Chief trophy in 22 seasons. Navy finished #2 with 343 yards/game.  … Read more Four of the Top Five 2017 FBS Rushing Offenses are Triple Option Offenses

The Most Utilized Goal-Line Concept by the FBS Triple Option Schools Over the Last 15 Years

Read The Most Utilized Goal-Line Concept by the FBS Triple Option Schools Over the Last 15 Years right here.

Army West Point is off to their Best Record in 22 Seasons–Here are the Three Concepts that Drive their Offense

Army West Point 2017 Offense First eight (8) win regular season since 1996. #1 in FBS rushing offense (368 yards/game through 11 games). #1 in FBS 3rd down conversion percentage (53%) #3 in FBS least number of turnovers lost (9 in 11 games). #4 in FBS yards per completion (19).  (Navy is #1 with 24, … Read more Army West Point is off to their Best Record in 22 Seasons–Here are the Three Concepts that Drive their Offense

2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown Versus Duke

Army West Point- 21 v. Duke- 16 F Army West Point Total Offensive Plays- 56 68% of Army’s Offense was the following: Zone Dive- 20; Zone Option- 12; Triple Option- 6 The other 32% of Army’s Offense was the following: Trap- 3; Down- 3; Sneak- 3; Quarterback Power- 2; Quarterback Iso- 2; Trap Option- 1; Power- 1; Rocket … Read more 2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown Versus Duke

2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown Versus Temple

Army West Point- 31 v. Temple- 28 F/OT Army West Point Offense total plays run- 70 56% of Army West Point’s Offense was the following: Dropback Pass- 12; Zone Dive- 10; Triple Option- 6; Zone Option- 6; Midline Lead- 5 The other 44% of Army West Point’s Offense was the following: Trap- 4; Counter Option- … Read more 2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown Versus Temple

Army West Point’s Top Three Concepts Through October 14, 2017

In 2017, Triple Option is the most utilized concept as Army West Point has executed the Triple 67 times. Zone Option, which is utilized when the defense forces a give read, has been executed 49 times. Zone Dive, which is utilized when the defense forces a pull read, has been executed 49 times. These three … Read more Army West Point’s Top Three Concepts Through October 14, 2017

2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown Versus Eastern Michigan

Army West Point- 28 v. Eastern Michigan- 27 F Army West Point total plays run: 65 62% of Army West Point’s Offense was the following: Triple Option- 11; Zone Dive- 11; Trap- 6; Zone Option- 6; Iso- 6 The other 38% of Army West Point’s Offense was the following: Quarterback Draw- 1; Down- 3; Counterkeep- … Read more 2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown Versus Eastern Michigan

2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown Versus Rice

Army- 49 v. Rice- 13 F Army West Point ran 68 total plays. 57% of Army West Point’s offense was the following: Triple Option- 22; Zone Option- 9; Zone Dive- 8 The other 43% was the following: Rocket 3 Mid Triple 2 Down 3 Rocket Boot 2 Follow 4 Iso 5 Counterkeep 1 Sneak 3 … Read more 2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown Versus Rice

2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown versus Tulane

Army West Point- 17 v. Tulane- 21 F Army West Point Total Offensive Plays- 75 69% of Army West Point’s Offense was the following: Zone Dive- 15; Triple Option- 13; Trap- 9; Zone Belly- 8; Zone Option- 7 The other 31% of Army West Point’s Offense was the following: Dropback Pass- 4; Iso- 3; Down (Belly-G)- 3; Midline … Read more 2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown versus Tulane

2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown versus UTEP

Army West Point- 35 v. UTEP- 21 F Army West Point Total Offensive Plays- 57 44% of Army’s Offense was the following: Zone Option- 10; Zone Belly- 5; Down (Belly-G)- 5; Iso- 5 The other 56% of Army’s Offense was the following: Triple Option- 3; Zone Dive- 3; Quarterback Draw- 2; Midline Lead- 2; Outside Veer Give- 2; … Read more 2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown versus UTEP

Army West Point’s Top Five Concepts Through Week 2 of 2017

Army West Point has run 119 plays through their first two games of 2017.  Here’s the top five concepts from those two games: Zone Belly was run 21 times.  They have run this concept with some formation-based variations. Triple Option was run 17 times. Midline Lead was run 12 times.   Rocket and Zone Option … Read more Army West Point’s Top Five Concepts Through Week 2 of 2017

2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown vs. Buffalo

Army West Point- 21 v. Buffalo- 17 F Army West Point Total Offensive Plays- 70 2/3 (67%) of Army West Point’s Offense was the following: Triple Option– 11; Zone Belly– 9; Midline Lead– 8; Rocket– 5; Zone Option– 5; Zone Dive– 5; Counter Keep– 4 Other 1/3 of the Offense (33%) was the following: Triple … Read more 2017 Army West Point Triple Option Breakdown vs. Buffalo

Oversimplifying Triple Option Playcalling

Triple Option playcalling is pretty simple. So get rid of all those “if-then” sheets from those Keyboard Vince Lombardi’s that hang out on Twitter. Army, Navy, and Georgia Tech have a simple playcalling system. Learn how they do this right here.